May 15, 2012

A sweet for a sweetheart

I have never boasted the best of cooking skills, but if you put a recipe in front of me I'll at least give it my best shot! The kitchen has been heating up in an attempt to keep up with my baking! That's right, I have been baking another sweet for our teeth! Tomorrow is my Mum's birthday and for the occasion the oven has just presented  me with a Carrot Cake! I made it a day in advance so I could admire my work before it is devoured, and I decided to share it with you.


That's cream cheese frosting on top with walnuts! Homemade cream cheese frosting! I licked the spoon to sample it- Verdict: I don't think it will make it through the night! Something of interest: That tablecloth underneath is my great-grandmother's. I really love the bright cheerful colors! Anything vintage and retro around me is greatly enjoyed and doesn't stand a chance not to become an instant favorite.
 


I am not the only bookworm in the family, I had to get it from somewhere! So in honour of the day, I grabbed some of Mum's favorite books. A couple of which happen to be mine as well!

1. The Wind in the Willows - by Kenneth Grahame a beautiful little story which I hope you are all familiar with about a mole, a river rat, and a rather troubled toad! Need I say more? Definitely tops the list.

2. Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie - Two books in a series about a little girl and her family during the pioneer era. True and written by the author Laura Ingalls Wilder from her perspective as a little girl. I am more than slightly addicted to history!

3. Rabbit Hill - by Robert Lawson The third book from the bottom in the picture above, a bit of a blur. It is a true children's classic about animals and well, rabbits! We love it!

4. Beatrix Potter: A Journal - Beatrix Potter of course and all of her works! She was a genius with watercolor! We have the entire collection. This particular book is about her life and is endlessly interesting!

5. Many other books not included in this stack!

Many wonderful hours I have spent being read to by or reading with, the wonderful woman that is my mother! But reading is just one of the things we have in common, truth be told we're two peas in a pod (as it is said) and do everything together! I am grateful for her! 

These pictures of her as a little girl were snagged from her photo box! 


Happy Birthday Mum! 
I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment