October 17, 2013

Paper Flowers

 Paper Flowers   8"x10"   acrylic on wood

This young Russian girl poses in front of a floral wallpaper (ergo her paper flowers). She and her pet white mouse sit amoung the Leucojum Vernum flowers (also known by its other name "Spring Snowflakes").  

Since I knew from the first sketch what country I wanted her to hail from, I carefully researched flowers that are native to Russia. These little beauties caught my eye, and in my humble opinion look somewhat similar to our Lily of the Valley.

Her meek mouse might be timid, but he's the best of companions. Plus he knows a few handy little tricks she's taught him. Amoung his many skills are climbing a ladder and ringing a bell. 


I have plans for a companion piece to her, and she just might become part of a larger series over the next few months. 
We'll have to wait and see!

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about flowers ...they are first come out in May. Looks like exactly you painted! I'm originally from Russia ..so I feel like you got it just right! You work is Beautiful, Magical! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lana! That's wonderful. It's so nice to hear that I got them right, I really tried to do my research! I appreciate all of your kind words.

      I'll be working on some more paintings for my Russian themed series soon.

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I would love to see it...let me know!

      Delete