June 21, 2014

Happy Midsummer's Eve

...I have and always will love this night of the year.


A night when anything magical and fantastical can present itself. Such as a chance encounter with a member of the fairy-folk! A very interesting meeting on that subject are the Cottingley Fairies.

If you aren't familiar with the film based on these fantastic girls and their story, you really should get acquainted with Fairytale: A True Story. I adored this film when I was a little girl. These three pictures are the photos captured by Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths of their fairy friends.


Living off of Cecily Mary Barker and her illustrations along with that movie, Mama and I would always build little houses from leaves and sticks on Midsummer's Night. Along with a little sweet and refreshment in a miniature tea set, we would make sure the fairies had enough supplies to dance the night away. And in the morning there would sometimes be a gift in exchange, a flower, a daisy chain, and one year some Raspberry Lotion & Gardenia Perfume (which I refused to use, since they were too precious). 

It isn't only the fairies that I love tonight for, it's the memories with my mother. I'm so blessed to have a Mama that I have so much in common with.


So, get out and scamper tonight. Catch some fireflies, drink tea outside by the moonlight, and keep your eyes peeled for the wee fairy-folk!

Happy Midsummer's Eve to you!

6 comments:

  1. I like this post and your special memories with mom are precious!
    Happy Midsummer's Eve to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lana. I'm so happy summer has finally arrived on our doorstep. I hope yours is off to a good start!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely thing to do on Midsummers eve! Such a nice memory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sweet memories of mine Vallon, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Great blog! Found you on the Etsy Promote Your Blog team! Happy to be your newest follower!

    Saralyn

    http://friedpicklesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete