August 28, 2014

Then We Had Tea

Then We Had Tea   11"x14"  Acrylic on paper


This was an illustration I did to accompany a short story in a children's magazine.
All of the little pastries and refreshments made me want to climb inside the paper and sit down on the bench log beside the raccoon & fox. Letting the soft music of the rabbit musical duo surround me. Accordion and cello arrangements? Yes, please! I imagine that bear has quite a bit of interesting stories to tell once he's finished his sweeties. 

Of course, I had to include a wee bit of chaos which always seems to happen at large gatherings of any variety. A young Mr. fox has spilled his tea and broken his cup. Right now he's deciding whether or not to mention the incident.

Growing up I had lots of tea parties, and they were always the theme for my young birthdays. Needless to say, I would have adored this true afternoon woodland tea, complete with a pie-carrying-giant-sized-badger.

Off for a good 'cuppa myself. These days I enjoy it while painting. 

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love the details! There's a whole story in this and it's darling. Gosh, I am so smitten with every one of your illustrations, it's not even funny. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for your lovely comments!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this illustration! There's so much activity and so much to see. Thanks for sharing.
    Laura from etsy blog team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm very fond of all the goings on in this piece :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute and gracious illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your illustrations! They are so whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that Vallon! So happy you enjoy it!

      Delete